Sunday, September 26, 2010

Should I Be Living in Fear?

This is a very large marker drawing I made of a sleeping man's face, on the A train, in winter:

It almost looks a little like Shepard Fairey's "Obey" portrait of Andre the Giant, but I swear I was not going for this! It just happened.

A question I sometimes ask myself is, am I taking advantage of someone by sketching him against his knowledge? What if one day, someone I've sketched reads this blog and recognizes him- or herself, and is frankly outraged that I would post the image against his or her will. This is assuming that my drawings are accurate enough renditions to be recognized, which is a tenuous assumption at best. But hypothetically, it could happen.

If the man I drew above were angry at my posting his likeness, I would be in a lot of trouble. He was a very large man. Like, Andre the Giant large. Grind-my-bones-to-make-his-bread large. His massive frame took up three subway seats, and when he stood up to get off the train he stooped to avoid hitting his head on the car's ceiling. He had hands like T-Bone steaks, and I swear I could see the taught striations of his colossal biceps even through his winter coat! No sir - short, reedy chump that I am, I would not stand any chance against him.

Fortunately, this has not been an issue so far. But if one day you hear about a helpless short dude being torn in half by a big angry dude on the streets of Manhattan, you'll know why the updates on this blog suddenly stop showing up.

No comments:

Post a Comment