Saturday, August 14, 2010

'Scuse me, while I kiss this guy

I've always liked the way this drawing came out...


...but I honestly don't know where this guy came from.

I completed this drawing about a year after I'd graduated college, while sitting on my childhood bed in my parent's house on Long Island. When I started it, I had intended for the man to be kissing an angel in the upper left corner, but after drawing him I decided he was better off alone.

This brings up a few questions. Is the man reaching out to humanity in the absence of a higher power? Or, could he be trying to embrace the unseen divine, trusting faith to guide him? Is he making out with his imaginary friend? Whistling "Flight of the Bumblebee"? Is he, maybe, floating under water? Clearly he has not shaved in a few days, and I think we can all agree he needs a haircut. Where are his clothes? Is he depraved? Who would draw such a clothes-less, depraved individual?!

Questions abound and I, as the artist, have few answers. I can only say that I have a bad habit of overworking my drawings, and I was relieved that this one said everything it needed to say in as few lines as I could manage. I hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment