Friday, November 5, 2010

It's The Little Things In Life

Today's post is all about little details.


There are times when there is no single person to be sketched on the bus or subway. In lean times like these, I have to scavenge for the bits and pieces: hands, shoes, bits of lips and noses. And the occasional tough guy punching himself in the face.

Something else I like to do when there are no ready faces to put on paper is record details from my surroundings. The drawing below was completed while I was riding a bus from Manhattan into New Jersey with my wife, to visit Mitsuwa Market, a Japanese shopping center about 20 minutes outside the city.


On my way, I saw the following:

Glass blocks
Windows in various brick walls
The Empire State building
A nose
A baseball diamond
Letters on billboards and the sides of trucks
Signs inside a tunnel
Traffic Lights
Golf-netting
Office-buildings
An electric transformer
A child who would not stop saying, "Oh my goodness." I think he may have never been out of the city until that day. For him, New Jersey seemed to be a land of many wonders ("Oh my goodness, trees!"). Ah, to be young.

No comments:

Post a Comment